“The salesman is supposed to know my name. But the managers know my name. And the owner Sherwin knows too.”

Southco Distributing Company was established in 1981 with the purchase of Southern Wholesale Company. From Southern Wholesale’s humble beginnings on William Street, Southco Distributing moved to 701 Patetown Road, where it would remain for 20 years continuing to grow, expand, and evolve alongside the burgeoning C-Store industry.

Beginning with Southern Wholesale in 1971, Sherwin Herring would begin his career in an entry level position. Over the next 16 years Sherwin would work in multiple roles, eventually becoming President of the company in 1986. During a pivotal time in 1996 Sherwin Herring purchased 80% of the company along with long time employees Chris Wise and Sonny Wooten acquiring the remaining 20%. After 42 years with Southco, Sonny retired on July 1st, 2022. Chris currently serves as CFO.

In October of 2004 seeing a need to accommodate current and future growth, Southco moved to the current 240,000 square foot facility located on 2201 South John Street. Since that time Sherwin’s family has become active in the business, his son-in-law, John Garver serves as President after previously serving as Wholesale Account Manager, his daughter April serves as Executive VP, his son, Kevin, Operations Manager, and daughter in law, Allison as Office Manager and Asst Controller.

Southco’s dedication to growth and success is attributed to the family like environment cultivated over many years, often seen with team members working alongside their children, spouses, grandchildren, and extended family within Southco. Currently Southco Distributing is ranked in the top 10 of Convenience Store Distributors nationally and North Carolina Business Journal’s Top 100 of privately held companies list.

Ready to Attract Customers and Increase Profits?
Click Here to get started.
Copyright © 2020 Southco Distributing Company. All rights reserved.